There is so much chaos going on in the world. I recently watched 13 Reasons Why and it brought up some dark memories from my past that I know are relevant in others’ present. Throughout the past couple of days, I’ve had a dark cloud looming over me knowing that these terrible things happen in our schools.
Then, when I logged into Skype this morning, my friends were discussing the Manchester bombing. Since I try to stray away from the news, I had no idea that something this horrific had happened. How could someone target small children like that?
It is on weeks like this that I start to lose hope. I begin to look around at what is happening and wonder if this world is just a living nightmare. That is, until I go outside and watch the dolphins swim off the shore.
We all get discouraged from time to time but it doesn’t mean that everything is falling apart. Sometimes we just need a little reminder that there is good in the world and what we are doing is worthwhile. Here are some uplifting quotes that get me through the darkness:
1. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
2. “Don’t let the noise of other people’s opinions drown out your inner voice.” – Steve Jobs
3. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford
4. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
5. “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.” – Mark Twain
6. “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
7. “Rise above the storm and you will find the sunshine.” – Mario Fernandez
8. “Living well is an art that can be developed: a love of life and ability to take great pleasure from small offerings and assurance that the world owes you nothing and that every gift is exactly that, a gift.” – Maya Angelou
9. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
If you want a weekly dose of encouragement every Monday, be sure to sign up for my newsletter! Let’s start every week off with positivity and joy.